Katherine Winter has always had an unyielding passion for computer games going back to a very young age. It is no wonder that she chose a career as a software engineer.
Finishing high school a year early, Katherine made the leap to pursue her dream by matriculating at Full Sail University at age 17, one of its youngest students.
Katherine jumped in with both feet by quickly earning a reputation of not only being one of its hardest working students, but also for volunteering on projects that other students would be apprehensive about taking on. Loving a challenge, she always strives for perfection, backed up with a strong code of ethics and a motto of, "Do it right the first time".
It did not take long for Katherine to become the go to person when others had problems or questions. Her peers knew that she would provide not only the answer but also frequently a more effective way of solving the issue.With an incomparable work ethic and a passion for perfection, Katherine became one of Full Sail University's youngest alumni in July 2010 with a Bachelor of Science in Game Development, and one of the top students in her class.
Bachelor of Science in Game Development - Full Sail University 2010, Winter Park, FL
|APIs:||Qt, DirectX, OpenGL|
|Applications:||Visual Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Tortoise SVN, Perforce|
|Awards:||Best Game In Show (2009), Above Target (2011, 13, 14, 15), Significantly Above Target (2012), Origin Unsung Hero (2014), Full Sail Advisory Board (2014)|
- Known to be working on several projects at once. Meet or delivered products early.
- Feature owner for several major projects. Responsible for writing technical brief that explain feature requirements.
- Works closely with UI/UX designers, directors, marketing, QA, producers, engine engineers.
- Works in large, distributed development team.
- Uses Agile/Scrum-based development environments.
- Lead and mentored junior engineers.
- Developed multiple tools for design team.
- Designed and constructed UI for designers to create new content.
- Used SWIG and Managed C++ to reuse C++ code in C#.
- Gathered and consolidated marketing data for development.
- Lead developer/engineer on website data remapping application designed to analyze marketing data, developed in C++ and C#.
- Setup and maintained database environment - Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
- Responsible for being a point-of-contact for attendees.
- Answering attendees' questions.
- Skills/Traits of flexible, adaptable, energetic, and enthusiastic.
Software Project Highlights
Ginger Dead - Short Lived Studio Animation, Gameplay engineer
- 3D survival defense game using C++, DirectX, Lua, and Wwise.
- Team consists of 11 people: 1 Internal Producer, 8 Engineers, and 2 Artists.
- Responsible for instancing animation by utilizing D3DX's animation support. Loaded in character and enemy attributes using Lua.
- Project lead for special effects.
- C# tool. Developed in one day.
- Really useful tool for creating bounding boxes on an image. Reads and writes files. Open source C++ code for adding files to project.
- 2D Real Time Strategy game. Developed by a team of four engineers, over a two-month timeframe using C++.
- Made mini-map, unit editor (C# tool), AI (unit & enemy decision making - state machine), design doc authoritarian.
- Received award "Best Game in Show" (of the class) - Dustin Clingman, CEO at IMI Labs, LLC.